Albany

Acid on bus seat burns man's pants

Acid on bus seat burns man's pants »Play Video
Are acid-washed jeans back in style?

ALBANY, Ore. - Acid burned through the pants of a bus rider Friday, officials suspect.

"I've been in the business 20 years," said Barry Hoffman, transit program supervisor for Albany Transit System, "and I've never seen anything like this before."

A bus passenger said something burned through his pants after riding to work. Transit officials took the bus out of service and notified police.

A hazardous materials team neutralized the unknown substance, believed to be some kind of acid, Hoffman said. The bus was put back into service after having the upholstery replaced.

Hoffman said they don't believe the substance was placed on the seat on purpose. Police suspect a passenger placed a car battery leaking sulfuric acid on the seat.

As for the passenger's pants, Hoffman plans to buy him a new pair.