Downtown Eugene

'It's not uncommon to have warming fires started by homeless individuals'

EUGENE, Ore - Fire officials said a tool shed fire broke out early Friday morning.

It happened near W. 2nd Ave. and Chambers St. after 3 a.m., Eugene Battalion Chief, Don Vaught said.

"It appears the doors to the shed may have been opened and it's not uncommon to have warming fires started by homeless individuals during this time of year," he said. 

The Eugene Mission homeless shelter is located nearby.  The fire is still under investigation. 

Officials said the fully involved shed fire in the backyard that could have spread to the vacant house. 

The fire station is right across the street from the scene and fire officials were able to put it out quickly so that it didn't spread to the businesses next door.