EUGENE, Ore. - Beautiful fall color gives way to a mess when those leaves finally drop to the ground.
The City of Eugene picks up leaves that residents pile in the street, but there are a few things to remember.
"It's critical that the leaf piles are clean when they're placed in the street, without any other foreign debris," said Damon Joyner with Eugene Public Works.
To help control pollution and prevent clogged storm drains, local governments work with homeowners to haul off the leafy debris deposited in yards by deciduous trees.
Here's what you need to know if you live on a street with curbs and gutters served by a leaf removal program.
Leaf Removal Schedule
West/Central Eugene Nov. 13 to Nov. 26 and Dec. 27 to Jan. 7
North Eugene Nov. 21 to Dec. 6 and Jan. 4 to Jan. 15
Southeast Eugene Dec. 5 to Dec. 17 and Jan. 14 to Jan. 23
Southwest Eugene Dec. 14 to Dec. 28 and Jan. 22 to Jan. 28
West of 28th Street, weeks of Nov. 26 and Jan. 7
East of 28th Street, weeks of Dec. 6 Jan. 14
Lane County www.lanecounty.org/LeafPickUp
Starting on west side of River Road north from Maxwell to
Beacon, then to the east side of River Rd, south to Division
Ave. Then on to the unincorporated areas in Springfield
Nov. 13 (call 541-682-8565 for weekly updates)
TBD (call 541-682-8565 for weekly updates)
Leaf Preparation Guidelines
- In Eugene and Lane County, leaves must be in the paved roadway but piled at least 15 feet away from parked vehicles. Do not bag leaves.
- In Springfield, leaves must be put in medium?sized bags that contain only leaves. The bags should be placed curbside, not in the street
- Do not pile leaves in bike or traffic lanes or on curbs or sidewalks.
- Keep storm drains and gutters clear to prevent localized flooding.
- Leaves are not picked up in private yards
- Do not mix in other debris such as branches, rocks, lawn clippings, pine needles, or trash.
- Wait to put leaves in the street until the weekend prior to collection.
- In Lane County leaf pickup will be provided for curb and gutter streets only. In Eugene, unimproved streets will be picked up only during the second round.