"I'm scared and I'm devastated," said Pam Allen.
Word spread that a toxic blue green algae bloom was lurking beneath the recreation hot-spot.
"It's dangerous to even touch this water," said Allen.
Exposure to the bloom can cause major health problems including numbness, dizziness and difficulty breathing. And it's not just from ingesting the water. The Health Department said people should even avoid skin contact.
The worst part? Pam Allen said no one warned her.
"We came in at six o'clock last night and heard absolutely nothing," said Allen.
In order to get any warning of the algae bloom, you have to hike up the hill to where you paid for your parking.
"This is not a big enough posting, not at all," said Allen. "There should be a big sign and a gate coming in here."
Hundreds of people flocked to campgrounds all around Dorena Saturday to soak up the late August sun. Some went swimming regardless.
"We were in it yesterday," said Diana Paz. "Nobody got sick, and nobody feels bad."
Others didn't take any chances.
"We could play card games and take hikes," said Teri Yarnal. "It certainly alters everything.
Pam Allen made up her mind. She took her family to another lake.