EUGENE (Final - 2008)
Murder & Non-negligent Manslaughter
2007 - 1
2008 - 2
2007 - 55
2008 - 60
2007 - 181
2008 - 223
2007 - 189
2008 - 211
2007 - 1640
2008 - 1704
2007 - 5119
2008 - 6814
Motor Vehicle Theft
2007 - 1045
2008 - 1303
"Eugene saw increases in every crime category," the FBI said Monday in a press release.
The finding was based on final crime reports from January through December of 2008. In June, the FBI released preliminary numbers. The final numbers for Eugene, released Monday, were the same as the June preliminary numbers. The new report include all of Oregon's cities and counties.
Nationally, violent crime was down 2.5 percent; property crimes were down 1.6 percent.
In Oregon, Portland saw a slight increase in the number of murders but decreases in every other crime category.
Eugene posted increases across all categories, according to the FBI.
FBI summaries for Oregon and SW Washington cities:
- The rate of violent crime for Oregon’s cities decreased by 6.8 percent, and the property crime rate decreased by 4.7 percent.
- The rate of violent crime for Washington’s cities declined by 0.9 percent, and its property crime rate declined by 6.4 percent.
- In Portland, the rates for rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft were all down. The rate for murder and non-negligent homicides were up (from 22 to 26).
- In Eugene, the rates for all crime categories were up, including murders and non-negligent homicides (from 1 to 2).In Gresham, the number of rapes, robberies, larceny-thefts, and motor vehicle thefts were down. The numbers of murders were up (1 to 6) as were aggravated assaults and burglaries.
- In Salem, there were decreases in the numbers of aggravated assaults, larceny-thefts, and motor vehicle thefts. There were increases in the number of murders (from 3 to 9), robberies, and burglaries. The number of rapes was unchanged.
- In Vancouver, the numbers of murders were down (from 7 to 0) as were the numbers of rapes, aggravated assaults, burglaries, and larceny-thefts. The number of robberies and motor vehicle thefts were up.