EUGENE, Ore. - The Oregon Ducks will open the football season Sept. 1 wearing the Nike uniforms that debuted at the Rose Bowl, Nike said Tuesday.
“Our goal is to help build better athletes by providing them with state-of-the-art-innovation combined with a deep knowledge and understanding of Oregon’s heritage and the uniform chassis that the Ducks will wear is the next evolution in football innovation” said Todd Van Horne, Nike’s Creative Director for Football. “With the integration of Chain Maille Mesh into the jersey as well as the functional winged pattern on the shoulders, this is truly the lightest, fastest football uniform we’ve ever made.”
Nike Chain Maille Mesh is a lightweight ultra-breathable material used in both the jersey and pant.
Through their relationship with Nike, the Ducks have become known for not wearing the same uniform combination twice.
“Nike has always done a tremendous job of integrating the input they have gathered from our players with a cutting-edge technology that maximizes their performance on the field,” Oregon Head Coach Chip Kelly said. “Every year I ask how they possibly can surpass their previous innovations and every year they deliver. Once again, Nike has set the standard in revolutionary uniform design.”
Nike outlined the changes and strategies built into the new uniforms:
- Eleven different materials in the Nike Pro Combat uniform (jersey and pant), and 16 different materials in the complete system of dress – each to address the specific needs of the athlete in game situations.
- Nike Chain Maille Mesh material incorporated into the back and under the arms in the jersey, as well as down the sides of the pant for exceptional ventilation without sacrificing durability. The new Nike Chain Maille Mesh integration also emphasizes improved thermoregulation, including the Nike Pro Combat Deflex padding layer, which has a baselayer constructed with fabric selected for its ability to help keep the body cool and wick away sweat – making the uniform, and player, lighter and dryer.
- A redesigned base layer that facilitates the uniform’s overall innovation, delivering the ultimate in lightweight protection for maximum speed. The base layer in the pant also features customizable protection that incorporates a thin, incredibly strong carbon fiber plate that can be placed on the thigh padding where needed.
- Strategically placed seams, pads and cooling zones that help minimize distraction and optimize protective coverage. Robust padding, without the bulk, has also been added to offer optimal low-profile impact protection specifically throughout the crucial “hit zone” between the knees and shoulders.
- Nike Pro Combat Deflex padding integrated in the hip and knee areas of the pant for crucial impact protection that stays in place.
- A Flywire collar eliminating two layers of fabric for improved breathability, providing a more stable anchor to keep the jersey in place.
- The uniform wouldn’t be complete without combining these innovations with a nod to the Duck’s evolution, not only in color but also in design. This includes a new wing design on the shoulders specifically engineered to provide maximum strength in the shoulder area while the spacing of the feathers allows for even greater mobility.
- The completely re-designed number system was inspired by the shape of a mallard’s feathers. These larger, bolder numbers maximize legibility on-field and accent the uniform colorway.