Man uses torch to weed yard, sets rental home on fire

Man uses torch to weed yard, sets rental home on fire

BEAVERTON, Ore. – At the risk of stating the obvious, don’t attempt to weed your yard with a torch.

Just go ahead and pull them instead.

Ask the crew of 35 who had to put out a house fire on SW Farmington Road in Beaverton on Sunday night.

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue was dispatched just after 7:30 p.m. when multiple 911 calls reported heavy smoke coming from the house.

Investigators determined the fire was probably started when a man who rented the house used a propane torch to burn away weeds around the home’s exterior. The man said that he was using a hose to wet down the area with a garden hose, but the fire quickly spread to vegetation next to the house and, eventually, to the house’s cedar siding and the shingles on the roof.

Once the fire was put out, firefighters spent much of the night removing tiles and cedar shakes to make sure there were no more hot spots that could reignite, and a private company was brought in to keep watch overnight as a precaution.

The house was being rented by a man and woman and their daughter. They were all unharmed and have renters insurance.