EUGENE, Ore. - Celebrate Bike Day 2008 this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Science Factory and BMX grounds near Autzen Stadium and Alton Baker Park.
The event is free.
Participants can get their bike ready for summer with a bike safety check; learn how to draft from the Poplollies racing team; enjoy a bike blender smoothie; see Portland's own synchronized bike dancing troupe, the "Sprockettes;" join the bike parade; and learn all the rules in the bike safety rodeo.
9 a.m. - Bike Rides Depart Science Factory Parking Lot--All experience levels welcome
9:30-11:30 a.m. - Pancake Feed Fundraiser for the Boy Scouts
12 p.m. - Free Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Served
1 p.m. - Presentation by Sen. Prozanski on the Bike Day stage
1:45 p.m. Bike Parade led by McCornack Elem. Unicyclists and "Bike Man"
2 p.m. Mayor Kitty Piercy Presents a "Bold Steps" Award for Sustainability
2:30 p.m. The Sprockettes, a synchronized mini-bike dance troupe, perform
3 p.m. The Poplollies Cycling Team Performs a Race Demo
3:30 p.m. Raffle Prizes Announced
3:45 p.m. Young Apollo Rocket Launch
Bike Day Stations, Tables and Booths (10 a.m.-4 p.m.)
· Novice Free Ride Course
· Bike Safety Rodeo
· Bike and Helmet Decoration
· Ride BMX Track with BMX Riders
· Bike Registration with the Eugene Police Department
· Raffled with Prizes from REI, Burley, & more
· Free Bike Safety Checks
Live Music by Hokoyo Marimba Band, David Gross & High Street, KoKo Lovetet & Spun Honey
· Bike Blender Smoothies
· "Big Stuff BBQ" Available
· Booths by Toby's Family Foods, Northwest Community Credit Union, Active 20/30 Club, Safe Routes to School, Girl Scouts, REI, Joe's, Lane Community College, McKenzie River Trust, and others. Tables & booths are free; call Jennifer Bell at the Science Factory at 682-7886 to reserve a space.