WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama's campaign schedule, a mix of fundraisers and rallies, will take him from coast to coast over the next three weeks as he looks to buoy Democratic candidates. | More Campaign 2010 News
The president will be in Portland, Ore., on Oct. 20 for a fundraiser and rally for Democratic candidate for governor, John Kitzhaber. The rally is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Portland.
Obama's appearances are designed to tap into two of his greatest strengths as a campaigner — his ability to rally voter enthusiasm and raise money. Democrats will need both in the final weeks leading up to the Nov. 2 elections if they hope to hold their majorities on Capitol Hill.
The president will end this week with three straight days of campaigning in Delaware, Massachusetts and Ohio. He'll be joined in Ohio by first lady Michelle Obama, their first joint campaign event since the 2008 presidential campaign.
The first lady is kicking off her own campaign blitz this week, headlining the first in a series of fundraisers for endangered Democrats.
The president heads west next week for a four-day sprint that will include stops for two high-profile Democratic senators in danger of losing their seats, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Sen. Barbara Boxer of California.
White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama will make additional stops over the final weekend before the election, though he's likely to spend Election Day in Washington. The president has requested an absentee ballot to vote in his home state of Illinois.
- Friday, Oct. 15: Fundraiser for Democratic Senate candidate Chris Coons in Wilmington, Del.
- Saturday, Oct. 16: Rally and fundraiser for Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick in Boston.
- Sunday, Oct. 17: Fundraiser in Cleveland for Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland; fundraiser for Democratic National Committee and rally in Columbus, Ohio.
- Wednesday, Oct. 20: Fundraiser and rally for the Democratic candidate for Oregon governor, John Kitzhaber, in Portland.
- Thursday, Oct. 21: Events for Sen. Patty Murray in Seattle; Democratic National Committee fundraiser in San Francisco.
- Friday, Oct. 22: Fundraiser for Sen. Barbara Boxer in Los Angeles; rally in Los Angeles; rally in Las Vegas; fundraiser for Sen. Harry Reid and Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in Las Vegas.
- Saturday, Oct. 23: Rally in Minneapolis for Minnesota Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mark Dayton; Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser in Minneapolis.
- Monday, Oct. 25: DCCC fundraiser in Providence, R.I.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.