LEMOLO LAKE, Ore. -- Blue-green algae is at it again. This time, the high levels of the toxin producing scum showed up in Lemolo Lake.
Oregon Health Authority and Douglas County Health Department officials announced on Wednesday that water monitoring confirmed the presence of blue-green algae in the lake.
The algae can be harmful to people and pets, and kids are especially vulnerable.
People should avoid swallowing, inhaling or touching the water.
Oregon Public Health officials advise that boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping style filter will not remove the toxin.
If you choose to fish at Lemolo, officials recommend removing all the fat, skin and organs before cooking.
The announcement comes just two days after the lake was stocked with 1,500 trout in preparation of the upcoming holiday weekend.