SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Officials evacuated the Gateway Mall in Springfield around 7:30 P.M. Saturday night after a fire broke out.
Witnesses said the fire was on top of the mall's front entrance.
Scott and Jennifer Reynolds live across the street from the mall and heard the fire engines, so went over to see what was going on.
"If you've ever had a hair dryer that hasn't been turned on for a while, and then when you turn it on and it has that electrical smell - that's what it was like," said Jennifer. "It had the smell of burning wires, a chemical smell."
Scott says many people were outside the mall when they arrived. "There were a couple hundred people outside, six or seven fire engines, cop cars," said Scott.
People inside the food court said they heard a big boom, then mall security crews evacuated them.
No word yet on the cause of the fire.
This is a developing story. Stay with KVAL News at 6:30 and KVAL.com for the latest updates. WERE YOU THERE?: Share your photos with the community.