This is a press release from Greenhill Humane Society
The remnants in the bottom of a mason jar proved all too tempting for Lindy.
The cat found herself in a potentially fatal situation after getting her head stuck in a jar.
“Curiosity didn’t kill the cat, but it could have,” said Ginny Johnston, cattery manager at Greenhill Humane Society.
The 2-year-old stray was found with the remains of a mason jar clinched tight around her neck. It is unknown if the cat broke the body of the jar in an effort to escape, or if someone attempted to rescue her by smashing the jar open.
Veterinarians managed to remove the glass before she was taken to a shelter. She was recently transferred to Greenhill Humane Society where she is available for adoption.
“This situation could have been avoided had the jar been thoroughly washed before it was thrown away,” says Johnston.
Greenhill officials stress the importance of disposing trash properly. Anti-freeze, pills, moldy food and chicken bones are common items found in the trash that can be a hazard to an animal’s health.
“Pet-proof your trash,” said Johnston. “Put your trash in heavy garbage bags, seal the bags tight and place them in a sturdy container with a heavy lid. More lives can be saved if people take the proper precautions when taking out the trash.”