EUGENE, Ore. -- Officers made 24 arrests and issued multiple citations Friday night in an attempt to keep Eugene's University District calmer, Eugene Police Department said.
EPD was on 'Party Patrol' in the neighborhoods to the west and south of the University of Oregon Friday night. During a six-hour period between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. officers arrested 24 people on charges ranging from consumption, open container and prohibited noise.
With the heavy foot traffic of UO students in the area EPD reported multiple alcohol-related violations, including:
- 12 Open Container (3 were UO students)
- 20 Minor in Possession (15 were UO students
- 9 Prohibited Noise (5 were UO students)
- 1 False Info to Officer (UO student)
- 9 Furnishing/Allowing Alcohol to Minors (6 were UO students)
- 1 Possession of Less Than an Ounce of Marijuana
- 7 other violations/crimes (2 were UO students)
EPD's Party Patrol hoped to 'prevent and respond proactively to potential alcohol and party-related problems that in the past have been associated with partying'. There is a dramatic increase in these behaviors when students return to campus.
OLCC assisted with enforcement and response efforts.