ROSEBURG, Ore. - Three people suffered injuries when pan full of grease caught fire and ignited kitchen cabinets in a Roseburg home.
The family of six escaped the NE Nash Street home. Three people suffered injuries; two were taken by ambulance to the hospital for treatment.
The fire started and the stove and spread to cabinets and walls. The family tried to use water and a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, but to no avail.
Firefighters knocked down the flames and removed a section of the wall to check to see if the fire had spread.
Fire personnel stayed on scene, checking the remainder of the residence with a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire had not spread.
Damage to the residence and contents was estimated to be $6,000.00.
The Roseburg Fire Department reminded citizens about the following fire safety tips in kitchen:
- When in doubt, just get out. When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
- If you do try to fight the fire, be sure others are already getting out and you have a clear path to the exit.
- Always keep an oven mitt and a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan (make sure you are wearing the oven mitt). Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan is completely cool.
- In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you or your clothing.
- If you have a fire in your microwave oven, turn it off immediately and keep the door closed. Never open the door until the fire is completely out. Unplug the appliance if you can safely reach the outlet.
- After a fire, both ovens and microwaves should be checked and/or serviced before being used again.
According to U.S. Fire Administration statistics, the kitchen is the place where fires most often start. If you have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, most grease fires can be contained. Do not put the fire extinguisher near the stove as it will be out of your reach if the fire is on the stovetop. You should not have to risk burns just to reach your extinguisher. Therefore, the best place to put the fire extinguisher is by the door of the kitchen so you have easy access to it.