Apartments flooded following fire, residents displaced

Apartments flooded following fire, residents displaced »Play Video

EUGENE, Ore. - Around 20 units at the Willamette Gardens Apartment complex were damaged Friday night after a fire set off the building's sprinkler system, fire officials said.

The Eugene Fire Department responded to the apartment building near Autzen Stadium on Kinsrow Ave. at around 10 p.m. Friday night.  According to officials on-scene, the fire was caused by food left on a stove top. 

The fire department said that the sprinkler system was activated, controlling the fire in the fourth floor apartment. However, between 300 and 400 gallons of water flooded the unit.  It then leaked into units below, affecting around 20 different residences.

Officials said that one person with Asthma was taken to the hospital to be checked out, but no one else was injured.

Red Cross volunteers provided five families living in the building shelter after they were displaced by the fire.