Basketball players accused of rape suspended from University of Oregon

Basketball players accused of rape suspended from University of Oregon

EUGENE, Ore. - Three Duck basketball players accused of sexually assaulting a woman at an off campus party have been suspended from the University of Oregon.

The University previously said Dominic Artis, Damyean Dotson and Brandon Austin would no longer play basketball for the school.

Now the men have been found by the school to have engaged in sexual misconduct and will be suspended for at least 4 years and up to a decade, depending on how long the woman remains on campus, John Clune, an attorney representing the woman, told the Huffington Post on Monday.

"It appears that the information released by Mr. Clune is accurate," said Julie Brown, a University of Oregon spokesperson.

None of the men faced any criminal charges. The Eugene Police Department investigated the accusation, interviewing all three men or their attorney, as well as the woman and other witnesses.

The district attorney declined to file formal charges, citing a lack of evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a rape occured.

Campus and community groups criticized the University for allowing the men to continue playing in the NCAA basketball tournament. The woman involved also issued a statement critical of the school's handling of the situation.

Clune told KVAL News his client remains concerned about Oregon's recruitment of Austin, who left his previous school while under investigation for a possible sexual assault there.

"We definitely want some more candid answers from the Athletic Department about their recruiting of Mr. Austin," Clune said. "The suggestion that Coach Altman was recruiting a student-athlete who was at the time serving a disciplinary suspension for an entire season and no one ever asked why is just flat out not believable.  

"If we can get honest answers without any litigation - great, but my client, her family, and the UO community need some transparency here or something like this is just going to happen again."

The alleged assault in Eugene took place in March, but news of the incident didn't break until the police report became public in May.

Brown issued the following statement on behalf of the university.

“As in all cases of sexual misconduct, we provide information to the complainant and the accused about the results of our administrative proceedings.  It appears that the information released by Mr. Clune is accurate. As has been said before, each young man had previously been given their full release and permission to contact any school.  Any inquiries related to transfers should be directed to the individual.

“In all reports of any misconduct including sexual harassment, intimidation or violence, the university works to protect and support the students involved.  Student safety is our top priority.  The UO is working with the campus community and an expert panel to review our prevention and response practices.”

 

Read the Huffington Post story from Monday