EUGENE, Ore. -- Fire crews helped douse a fire that started inside a ventilation system Wednesday night outside Lawrence Hall on the University of Oregon campus.
The fire started when students working on a project in the Architecture and Allied Arts wood shop accidentally threw embers into a dust filtration system, UO Police Sgt. Matchulat said.
The embers sparked a smoky fire inside the dust ventilation system which eventually triggered the building's fire alarm. Officials reported that students and staff safely evacuated the building while emergency crews responded to the scene.
Fire crews arrived at around 9:25 p.m. to find smoke pouring out of the HVAC system on the north side of Lawrence Hall, Mike Grimes of Eugene Fire said.
The fire was quickly doused and fire crews searched the area for other possible fires. Officials cleared the fire just before 9:40 p.m. Wednesday.
Part of Franklin Boulevard was closed off while fire crews worked in the area.