Firefighters blocked West 7th Avenue east of McKinley while they worked to douse the flames. All six of the Custom Meat Co. employees working at the time were safely evacuated.
Eugene/Springfield Fire Departments responded to 2355 W. 7th just before 10:20 a.m. Thursday after getting reports that their smokehouse caught fire. Officials reported that the fire spread to the roof of the main building.
Firefighters attacked the smoldering fire inside the building's attic and opened up the roof for better access, fire officials said.
Meat cutter Tom Bosse said the fire started inside the smokehouse, where employees were curing jerky.
"We thought we had it out, but evidently it was in the attic, burning burning," Bosse said. " Within a matter of minutes the whole room was full of black smoke. That's when we got the heck out."
Fire officials said that the flames were eventually controlled. They estimate the total damage at over $200,000.