Cat dies in fire that ruined family's rented home

Cat dies in fire that ruined family's rented home
Firefighters said the home and its content were a total loss

EUGENE, Ore. - A fire burned a Eugene home Tuesday afternoon, killing the family cat.

The family of 4 was not home at the time.

The fire appears to have started in the back of the home in the 3800 block of Gilham Road, Eugene Springfield Fire said, and then spread quickly to the attic.

The initial call to 911 came in just before 1:40 p.m.

Firefighters searched the home and found no one inside.

The cause appears to be accidental, investigators said. The home and its content appear to be a total loss, the fire department said.