Passerby saves family dog from house fire

Passerby saves family dog from house fire »Play Video
Firefighters respond to flames on Almaden Street near W. 11th Avenue.

EUGENE, Ore. - A passerby kicked in the door of a burning house and let the family's dog out before firefighters arrived on scene Monday.

The family of 4 wasn't home at the time. Neighbors held the dog while firefighters knocked down the flames.

"It appears that it started at the outside by a barbecue or maybe a bicycle or something," said Cori Dupont, who witnessed the fire. "It's all on fire. It went up the wall and into the attic."

Firefighters responded to a house fire at 1092 Almaden Street in Eugene on Monday afternoon.

The emergency response closed W. 11th westbound at Taylor Street.