SEASIDE, Ore. – A woman who visited Seaside for Thanksgiving is the latest in a series of victims who said they got sick while watching the new “Twilight” film.
Tina and Bret Goss took their daughters to see “Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part One” on Thanksgiving day. Tina said she started feeling strange near the end of the film during the birth scene.
“Started feeling sick to my stomach, like I was going to be sick,” said Tina Goss. “Really hot, really sweaty, like on the verge of vomiting.”
“All of the sudden she leans over and says ‘I don’t feel well. I’ve got to get out of here,’” said Bret Goss.
Tina said she wasn’t coherent again until she arrived at the emergency room at Providence Seaside Hospital.
“My hands were completely blue for like two to three hours. The next day I was so lethargic I felt like I’d you know like ran eight marathons,” said Tina Goss.
It was only after what they’d gone through that they read about other people who were affected by the movie in similar ways across the country. Doctors believe flashes of red, black and white during the climactic birth scene are triggering photosensitive epilepsy seizures in some people.
The phenomenon first gained notoriety in 1997 when several children had seizures while watching an episode of the “Pokemon” cartoon show.
“Red is one of the most provocative colors when flashed to provoke a seizure,” said Dr. Orrin Devinsky with the NYU Epilepsy Center.
The Goss family said their visit to the emergency room will likely cost them $1,000. They feel movie theaters should post a warning for viewers.
“If there was a warning, at least we wouldn’t have sat there for the next 12-14 hours going ‘I don’t get it. What happened?’” Said Tina Goss.