Occupy Eugene: Injured man started fight

Occupy Eugene: Injured man started fight
Police at the Occupy Eugene camp

EUGENE, Ore. - Occupy Eugene said camp medics saved the life of "an extremely drunk individual with a heart condition" who "came onto the OE site and started a fight with an OE occupant" and that Occupy medics were giving the man CPR as police arrived.

Organizers of the protest camp said generator noise from lights the City of Eugene put up to run from dusk until dawn interfered in efforts to de-escalate the situation.

An Occupy Eugene spokesperson confirmed to KVAL News that the press release from Occupy Eugene referenced the same incident that the Eugene Police Department described in an earlier press release. The press releases from the two entities differed in some key details, including the time of the incident.

Mayor Kitty Piercy called the City Council to a special meeting at noon on Tuesday in the wake of the incident.

Below are verbatim copies of both press releases regarding the incident.

Press release from Occupy Eugene

OE medics help to save another life at W/J Park despite generator noise hampering efforts; 25 OE organizers arrive within minutes to help keep site calm for Eugene Police and Medics

On December 19th at approximately midnight a brief altercation occurred at the Occupy Eugene site. An extremely drunk individual with a heart condition came onto the OE site and started a fight with an OE occupant. Peacekeeper calls for de-escalation assistance went unheard because of the noise made by the four generators which now surround the site since high-powered security light towers were installed last Friday. Apparently Eugene Police were on site; the unconscious and injured instigator required CPR which the OE medic administered as EPD arrived on the scene. The man is in stable condition.

This is the 5th time that OE first responders have helped to save a life.

More than two dozen Occupy organizers and supporters arrived within minutes of notification. After establishing facts regarding the situation, they coordinated a peaceful vigil at the crime scene. Members of OE involved in the incident were given full community support. OE police liaisons provided relevant information to EPDofficers. Police Chief Kerns, Lieutenant Kamkar, and City Councilor Ortiz were also on site. Lieutenant Kamkar did not expect any arrests as of 1:30am.

This press release has been approved by the General Assembly of Occupy Eugene.


Press release from Eugene Police Department

Police Investigate Assault with Life Threatening Injuries at Washington-Jefferson Park

Eugene Police are investigating an assault that occurred at Washington-Jefferson Park that has resulted in life threatening injuries to one man.

An officer found a 54-year-old white male unresponsive and not breathing within the Occupy Eugene encampment at 10:40 p.m. and administered C.P.R. The man was taken to a local hospital with life threatening injuries.

This incident was the fifth fight-related incident that police had responded to since 7:00 Monday evening. Eugene Police Violent Crimes Unit responded to the scene and are investigating.