EUGENE, Ore. - Consider yourself warned.
Officers with the Eugene Police Department’s Traffic Enforcement Unit will be focusing on areas that statistics have shown to have high crash rates.
They got started Wednesday by deploying motorcycle and plain clothes police officers at Valley River Way and Valley River Drive.
Four more enforcement efforts are planned between now and June:
- March 18 - I-105 and West 7th
- April 29 - West 18th and Chambers
- May 19 & 23 - MLK and Coburg Road
- June 17 - West 11th and Bertelsen
Police said officers will enforce all traffic laws with attention primarily focused on the following violations:
- Cell phone (distracted driving)
- Seat belts
- Following too closely
- Lane violations
- Failure to obey traffic control device
The intent of the operation is to educate the public and to reduce the number of crashes and conflicts between all road users including motor vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians.