'She was on the right track to go somewhere and be somebody'

'She was on the right track to go somewhere and be somebody' »Play Video
Shayla Ream

EUGENE, Ore. - Shayla Ream's family found her unconscious in her bedroom December 13.

Her grandfather attempted CPR until medics arrived.

The 19-year-old died at the hospital early the next morning.

Her older sister Cassandra spoke to KVAL News on Friday at services for her sister.

"I wouldn’t want this to happen to anybody else," Cassandra said. "I really care about other people and for their sake and I know that my sister would care about them."

The family believes Shayla collapsed and vomited after inhaling compressed gas to get high. Doctors confirmed the suspicion.

"It coated her lungs as she huffed the inhalant called Dust-Off," Cassandra said. "When that happened it left no more oxygen to her brain, which shut off all of her organs. And it only happened in a matter of minutes."

Cassandra agreed to talk about her sister's death in hopes that other kids don't make the same mistake.

Statistic for huffing deaths are not very accurate because huffing deaths are often attributed to something else.

The studies that have been done indicate girls are more likely than boys to try huffing - and the younger the person, the higher the incidence of huffing.

Kids sometimes seek out inhalants because they are sold over the counter at stores for legitimate uses.

But federal health officials say huffing can be fatal - even the first time.

"She was in her first semester of LCC, and then she was trying to become a wedding planner," Cassandra said. "She was starting to become somebody. She was on the right track to go somewhere and be somebody."

Watch #LiveOnKVAL Friday to hear Cassandra share her plea to other youth to avoid huffing

ONLINE: Learn more about the signs and symptoms of huffing