EUGENE, Ore. -- Three men assaulted a UO student before stealing his bike on Friday night as he was locking the bike up near campus, University of Oregon Police said.
Officials from the UO Police Department released a crime alert on Saturday asking students to be on the lookout for three suspects involved in the campus-area assault.
The student told campus police that he was locking up his bike at Alder St. and 15th Alley at around 7 p.m. when three men approached him.
He said that one of the men pushed him to the ground while another man punched him in the face repeatedly. The third man grabbed his bike and fled the scene.
The victim described the man who punched him as Asian male, short with a medium build. The student said that the other two men were black, but he couldn't make out any other distinguishing features.
The UO Police Department released the following information to help keep people safe around campus:
- It is a crime to intentionally touch someone against his or her will, regardless of the situation.
- Encourage friends to travel in pairs or with trusted companions, especially at night or in remote areas.
- Use UO Safe Ride (541-346-RIDE ext. 2), call a taxicab, or contact UOPD for an on-campus escort (541-346-2919).
- If you feel you or others are in danger, call 9-1-1.
- To report suspicious, illegal or unusual activity on campus, call UOPD at 541-346-2919. For emergencies or if you see a crime being committed, call 9-1-1.
- For students, a range of support services are available through the Office of the Dean of Students, 541-346-3216; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For students, personal counseling and other support services are available through the University Counseling and Testing Center, 541-346-3227 (available 24 hours); counseling.uoregon.edu/dnn.
- For students, medical and sexual assault examination services are available at University Health Center, 541-346-2770; healthcenter.uoregon.edu.
- For employees, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, 541-346-3123, and Office of Human Resources, 541-346-3159, can assist in connecting to resources.
- Other community resources available are Sexual Assault Support Services (SASS), 541-343-7277 (24 hour crisis line) or 541-484-9791, Womenspace, 541-485-8232 or 541-485-6513 (24 hour crisis line), and White Bird Clinic Counseling, 541-342-8255 541-687-4000 (24 hour crisis line).