Wedding vows lost in house fire

Wedding vows lost in house fire

DEADWOOD, Ore. - Monet Corona spent Valentine's Day sifting through the ashes of her home searching for the wedding vows her fiancé Chris Russo wrote.

A fire burned their mobile home to the ground on January 29.

Corona said she believes an electrical fire started the blaze at their Lake Creek Mountain Road home, although the responding fire departments have not confirmed that information.

Corona, who has muscular dystrophy, said she and her fiancé lost everything in the fire: her wheelchair, tools, and their four pet rabbits.

But Russo said what they are missing the most on Valentine's Day is an irreplaceable piece of paper.

“Really, the most important thing for me is the wedding vows," said Russo, taking a break from sifting through the ashes. "And out of all this, I can’t find it. It kills me. I don’t need the tools or the poor rabbits. She’s ok, but I need the vows because I don’t know how they started off.”

Corona and Russo said they are getting married this coming August.

Corona said they did not have insurance on any of their possessions, but a neighbor has set up a charitable account at US Bank under the name Monet Corona.

Ty Steele from KVAL News visited Deadwood for a story set to air February 14, 2013.