"We who are privileged to be in these chambers today can view the challenges we face as opportunities, not as reasons for despair. We can do this only if we blend our independent spirits in terms of reverence for life and respect for nature. Each of you might suggest different words, but our goal certainly is the same: a better Oregon."
- Gov. Tom McCall, inaugural message to the Oregon Legislature 1971
PORTLAND, Ore. - March 22, 2013, marks the 100th anniversary of Gov. Tom McCall's birth.
The Oregon Historical Society has gathered a panel of McCall's friends and colleagues, including Oregon State Senator Betsy Johnson, former Governor Vic Atiyeh and political reporter Floyd McKay for a special remembrance on the eve of McCall's 100th birthday.
OHS Executive Director Kerry Tymchuk will guide the discussion, which will be followed by a Q&A session.
"Nearly 40 years after leaving the Governor's office, Tom McCall remains one of the most iconic and influential public officials in Oregon's history," said Tymchuk. "It is very appropriate for the Oregon Historical Society to play the lead role in helping Oregonians honor and remember McCall's life and legacy."
McCall served as Oregon Governor from 1967-1975. He left a dramatic mark on Oregon, and his legacy includes many progressive achievements from The Beach Bill to the cleanup of Portland's Waterfront.
Tickets to the panel discussion are limited and can be purchased for $10 online at WWW.OHS.ORG or in person at the Oregon Historical Society.
The Oregon Historical Society will also celebrate this historic centennial with additional programs and events, which include:
- A complete multi-disciplinary service-learning curriculum focused on Governor Tom McCall's legacy is available on the Oregon Historical Society website, WWW.OHS.ORG. This curriculum is designed to involve young people in decisions and actions that will create "a better Oregon," and may be used by teachers, leaders of after-school programs, or by agencies serving Oregon's youth.
- Journalist Brent Walth, author of the McCall biography, Fire at Eden's Gate: Tom McCall and the Oregon Story, will present a "Tom McCall Centennial Lecture" at The Tower Theatre in Bend at 7 p.m. on March 20. Tickets are $10, and can be purchased at BoxOfficeTickets.com or in person at the theatre.
- OHS and OPB are partnering to host a special online screening of the latest episode of Oregon Experience on March 27 at 7 PM on the life and legacy of Gov. McCall. While watching online, those who helped create the film will provide additional insights and answer questions in a new & interactive way to watch Oregon Experience. Visit www.opb.org for details.
- A History Pub presentation at McMenamins Kennedy School in Portland on May 20 at 7 p.m. featuring author and historian Sy Adler. Adler will speak on the 40th anniversary of Oregon's Land-Use Legislation, spearheaded by Governor McCall. History Pub is a monthly event on the last Monday of the month co-sponsored with Holy Names Heritage Center and McMenamins and funded by the Multnomah County Cultural Coalition (via the Oregon Cultural Trust). This month's lecture is put on in collaboration with 1,000 Friends of Oregon.